Forums | E-portfolio at Athabasca University

General Discussion /
Please help

Tammy 's profile picture

20 January 2024, 11:12 AM

Hello, I have just started the course MDDE 601. I am working on my Masters degree with the focus in leadership. It has been suggested to work on the eportfolio throughout the program. I am wondering if anyone has any advice in terms of how to start things.  What do I need to add on the eportfolio now and throughout? I am very much new to this so any advice will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Dave Maze 's profile picture

21 January 2024, 9:43 AM

Hello Tammy, 

In response to your question, the advice you are receiving on starting your e-portfolio right away is correct. 

I am an instructor at Lethbridge College and graduated from Royal Roads in a degree and masters program. One of the requirements from RRU was the development of an e-portfolio to leverage a Prior Learning Application for several course. I was tasking courses at Athabasca at the time and used their system as it is one of the better ones out there.

In one of my courses I teach E-Portfolio development and this is the 10 steps i provide to my students... 

Starting an e-portfolio involves several key steps to effectively showcase your achievements, skills, and experiences. Here's a guide on how to begin:

1. Define Purpose and Audience:

• Clearly identify the purpose of your e-portfolio. Is it for academic purposes, job applications, or personal reflection? Understanding your goal will help you tailor the content accordingly.
    • Consider your target audience. Knowing who will view your portfolio will guide your content selection and presentation style.
  2. Choose a Platform:

• Select an appropriate platform for hosting your e-portfolio. Common options include personal websites, portfolio-specific platforms, or even social media platforms if they align with your goals.
    • Popular platforms include WordPress, Wix, Weebly, LinkedIn, and dedicated portfolio sites like Behance or GitHub for specific professions.
  3. Gather Content:

• Collect materials for your portfolio, such as academic achievements, projects, work samples, certificates, and any other relevant documents.
    • Consider including a variety of materials to showcase your skills and versatility.
  4. Create a Structure:

• Develop a clear and logical structure for your e-portfolio. Consider creating separate sections for education, work experience, projects, skills, and any other relevant categories.
    • Ensure easy navigation by organizing your content in a way that is intuitive for your audience.
  5. Choose a Design and Theme:

• Select a design or theme that complements your content and reflects your personal or professional style.
    • Ensure that the layout is visually appealing, easy to read, and responsive to different devices.
  6. Write Descriptive Headings and Summaries:

• Craft concise and informative headings and summaries for each section. Clearly articulate your achievements, responsibilities, and skills.
    • Use language that is easy to understand, avoiding jargon that may be unfamiliar to your audience.
  7. Include Visuals:

• Enhance your e-portfolio with visuals such as images, infographics, or videos. Visual elements can provide a more engaging and comprehensive representation of your work.
    • Ensure that any visuals used are high quality and relevant to the content.
  8. Add Reflective Statements:

• Consider including reflective statements or narratives that provide context for your work. Explain the thought processes, challenges, and lessons learned from specific projects or experiences.
    • Reflective statements add depth and insight, showcasing your ability to critically analyze your work.
  9. Proofread and Edit:

• Thoroughly proofread your e-portfolio to eliminate grammatical errors, typos, and formatting issues.
    • Ensure consistency in formatting and style throughout the portfolio for a polished and professional look.
  10. Test Navigation:

• Test the navigation of your e-portfolio to ensure that visitors can easily move between sections and access relevant information.
    • Consider seeking feedback from peers or mentors to identify any usability issues.
  11. Publish and Share:

• Once satisfied with your e-portfolio, publish it on the chosen platform.
    • Share the link with your intended audience, whether it's potential employers, academic institutions, or colleagues.

Remember that your e-portfolio is a dynamic tool that can evolve as you gain more experiences and achievements. Regularly update and refine it to keep it current and aligned with your goals. A key message if I have any, keep information updated as you never know when that perfect opportunity will arise. You can adjust your intro page and information to fit for a specific job easily.

Good luck with your studies 

Dave Maze 

david.maze@lethbridgecollege.ca

Tammy 's profile picture

23 January 2024, 7:51 AM

Thank you Dave, you have given me excellent feedback that I will be referring back to often as I get more comfortable with creating my e-portfolio.  Have a wonderful day!

3 results