The Files area is a repository, i.e. a document storage for folders and files, that you can use within your portfolio. Both folders and files are considered artefacts and as such can be added to a page. You may create any number of folders or sub folders. To view which sub folders and files sit within a folder, click on the folder name. Use the Home link to return to the top level folder directory.
You can arrange files and folders by dragging and dropping the icon in front of the file / folder name onto another folder icon. A suitably named and organised filing structure will help you with the long term organisation and retrieval of your artefacts. If you want to move a file or folder out of a sub folder, move it onto the parent folder icon.
You will find that some folders are automatically created by the system such as viewfiles. This folder includes files from imported pages. As with any other file, you can move them out of this folder and store them in a different folder.
Uploading a file
To upload a file, perform the following:
- Log into e-portfolio.
- Click Content then Files. A list of your existing files will be displayed.
- Check the Yes: The file I am attempting to upload is my own or I have express permission to reproduce and/or distribute this item. My use of this file does not breach any of my local Copyright legislation. This file also adheres to the Terms and Conditions outlined on this site. field. The File field will be enabled.
- Click the Browse button and select a file or files for upload. Depending on your browser, you can select multiple files for upload by holding down the Control key on Windows or the Command key on OS X.
- Once you have selected the file(s) to upload and clicked OK/Open in your file open dialog, the file(s) will start uploading to the system and appear in your list of files. Do not leave the page until all your files have uploaded.
You can provide further details on an uploaded file by clicking the Edit icon to the right of the file after you have uploaded it. This will provide options to supply a description and tags for the file, as well as allowing comments to be made on the file itself once put into a portfolio. You may also use this to rename the file after upload.
As a way of helping you organize your file repository, the e-portfolio tool gives you the ability to create file folders. These operate similarly to file folders on your own computer.
To create a folder, perform the following:
- Click on Content, then Files.
- Enter a name for the folder in the field to the left of the Create Folder button.
- Click the Create Folder button. The new folder will appear in the file list below.
- Click on the new folder to enter that folder and upload files into it.
You can drag existing files into the new folder by dragging their icon onto the new folder.