I have been a part-time student at Athabasca University for the past fifteen years. I have completed a Bachelors of General Studies, a Graduate Diploma in Instructional Design, and with this portfolio am coming to the end of my Athabasca jorney with the completion of the MEd in Distance Education program.
Through the MEd program, I gained skills and confidence that have had a positive impact on my personal and professional life, while allowing to balance those often competing priorities.
This portfolio is an oportunity for me to reflect on several core competencies.
- Email address: email@example.com
- Download Tanya Elias Resume - Learning Solutions.pdf - Sunday, 23 September 2012 [83KB]
What I now know (or think I know) about learning
- Instructional design and development: I have specialized in learning analytics, performance management, instructional design, the use of social media in learning, and universal instructional design principles. I also gained a solid foundation in strategic planning, evaluation, and change management. At work, I've put those skills to use to recently transform a 31-day new hire curriculum using analytics-driven instructional design - and the pilot results have been very good.
- Problem-solving and analysis: At AU, I began to explore using analytics as a way to quickly responed to the needs of learners. At work, I need to adapt quickly to changing business needs and resolve issues as they arise. Together, these opportunities have allowed me to identify and tackle a series of process and performance issues head on.
- Innovation and research: It AU, I have had the opportunity to work and research with many leaders in instructional design, educational technology, social media, and analytics. I'm hopeful that I'll also soon be able to share some of our accomplishments at work with the wider learning community.
- Leadership and management: Leading involves inspiring and motivating. It also involves working collaboratively to address issues and explore new possibilities. Finally, it involves decision-making. AU allowed me develop these skills that I use continue to develop these every day while managing a five-person team.
- Learning technologies: I have become passionate about the importance of learning and training. By providing the very best in learning opportunities we can help learners to succeed both at work and in their lives. It is this strong belief that drives my desire to seek out and implement new learning solutions.
- Communication and interpersonal skills: It never ceases to amaze me how many good ideas there are out there. Listening, asking questions, and putting pieces together have been the foundation of everything I have accomplished.